Nursing Home Services
Henry Ford Hospice is committed to serving patients nearing the end-of-life in whatever setting they call home. We have an active program designed to care for the residents of select nursing homes across southeast Michigan. For people living in nursing homes, Henry Ford Hospice works with the nursing home staff in developing a plan that promotes dignity and quality end-of-life care. Our goal is to keep the resident in the nursing home while enhancing quality of life and managing comfort.
For the resident of a nursing home, hospice care programs can provide the following services:
- Nursing services above and beyond the usual nursing home care with 24 hour on-call availability.
- Training of family members and facility staff in care, as appropriate.
- Additional nursing assistant help with personal care and activities of daily living.
- Spiritual and emotional support not only for the patient but also their family and facility staff.
- Help with practical matters associated with facing the end-of-life-situation.
- Coordination of services and care with the patient's physician.
- Through the Hospice Medicare/Medicaid Benefit, equipment and medicines that are part of the plan of care and a covered benefit.
- Expert management of pain and symptoms associated with chronic illnesses and end-of-life.
- Nutritional counseling geared toward the individual patient's needs.
- Bereavement and support groups for families.
- Trained volunteers who:
- Visit patients
- Offer comfort and support
- Assist with activities of daily living (feeding, combing hair,etc.)
- Provide patient social interaction, like listening to and conversing with patients, reading, writing letters and playing games.
The Henry Ford Hospice patient residing in a nursing home receives the benefit of both health care organizations. Henry Ford Hospice also can help coordinate a move into a nursing home if a patient is unable to stay in their current place of residence.