What to Expect
Since patients’ conditions and family situations change rapidly at the end of life, we remain highly responsive to the particular needs of each family. There is a nurse on-call 24 hours a day, seven days a week to provide support.
Goals of hospice is to:
- Enabling patients to be supported by their loved ones
- Caring for the whole person — body, mind, and spirit
- Focus on quality of life making each day as comfortable and peaceful as it possibly can be.
- Empowering patients to make their own decisions
- Maintain the dignity of the individual
- Comfort to patients by know that their family members will be supported emotionally and spiritually.
Team Care Approach
Committed to ensuring the quality of life and honoring that they are coping with so much more than simply the physical symptoms of a disease. Our team of hospice experts offer a wide variety of specialized services designed around You.
- The patient drives their plan of care through personal choices
- Family and loved ones are taught how to safely care for the patient. They are given support throughout the end-of-life process.
- The nurse case manager is an expert in pain and symptom management. The nurse will develop the plan of care, and continue to assess changing needs.
- Our Board Certified Hospice and Palliative Care Physicians are available for home visits and consultation with your physician and hospice team members.
- A social worker addresses the psychological and emotional needs of the patient and family, assisting with access to community resources.
- Chaplains can provide for spiritual needs.
- Home Health Aides assist with personal care and light housekeeping
- Trained volunteers provide companionship, friendly visits and support for caregivers.
- A registered dietician assists with dietary needs.
- Physical, occupational, respiratory and speech therapy are available when deemed necessary for the patient’s comfort by the team.
- A bereavement specialist provides family support for at least 13 months after the patient’s death.
- SandCastles Grief Support Program for Children and Families, offers open-ended support for children who have experienced the death of a loved one.