Grief support for children and families
Henry Ford Hospice created the SandCastles Grief Support Program to provide grieving children and families the opportunity to come together for nurturing and strength as they learn to cope with the loss of a loved one.
SandCastles works to provide a safe and comforting environment for children and teens, ages 3-18, to grieve their loss and to find within themselves their natural capacity to heal. Participation in group activities with peers supports the healing process by helping young people to accept grief as a normal response to loss.
With the support of staff, volunteers, peers and family members, children and teens are encouraged to honor the loved one who has died, while expressing their grief in a manner that is uniquely their own. Families are encouraged to take part in the program for as long as they feel the need. There is no time limit to grief, and SandCastles honors this idea.
Call (313) 874-6881 to speak with a staff member about a program in your area.
SandCastles is an open-ended program, with enrollment available free of charge throughout the year. Volunteer opportunities are available as well. Pre-registration is required.
SandCastles meeting information
SandCastles meetings occur on the following schedule.
- Clinton Township - Twice a month on Mondays
- Detroit - Twice a month on Mondays
- Downriver - Twice a month on Tuesdays
- Livonia - Twice a month on Thursdays
- Rochester - Twice a month on Wednesdays
- St. Clair Shores - Twice a month on Thursdays
- Southfield - Twice a month on Tuesdays
- West Bloomfield - Twice a month on Thursdays