Kidney and Adrenal Cancers Referral Program
Expert kidney cancer care for your patients.
At Henry Ford Health, our surgeons helped develop the minimally invasive robotic kidney-sparing surgery techniques for kidney tumors that previously required open surgery and removal of the entire kidney. These techniques preserve kidney function during surgery and shorten a patient’s hospital stay. We’re proud to say they’ve been demonstrated around the world.
Our team takes each patient’s cancer diagnosis, health needs and concerns into account to create a personalized treatment plan. We also offer minimally invasive treatments for patients with adrenal tumors, and our adrenal surgeons are among the most experienced in the country.
Henry Ford kidney and adrenal cancer program: Why choose us?
At Henry Ford, your patients have access to all the care they need. You can expect:
- Clinical trials for renal cell cancer: Henry Ford offers clinical trials for patients with all stages and types of renal cancer.
- Multidisciplinary kidney and adrenal cancers tumor board: Our specialists in surgery, urology, radiation, chemotherapy, nursing, research and other disciplines work together to evaluate each patient’s case and treatment options to create a personalized treatment plan.
- The most advanced and minimally invasive surgical options: Our goal is to preserve kidney function and reduce recovery time. We have developed novel surgical techniques to cool the kidney to help preserve kidney function.
- Virtual telemedicine: We can arrange consultations and follow-up visits for patient convenience.
Pioneers in minimally invasive kidney surgery
We are the Midwest’s most experienced surgeons. The Henry Ford team has:
- Cared for 250+ patients annually
- Performed more than 4,000 renal surgeries
- Run a high-volume renal surgery program in the Midwest and U.S.
As part of our innovative approach to treating kidney and adrenal cancers, we offer your patients:
Advanced treatment options
- Active surveillance: We may recommend close observation for smaller tumors, particularly in elderly patients with comorbidities.
- Adrenalectomy and partial adrenalectomy for adrenal tumors: During adrenalectomy, our team removes one or both adrenal glands; during partial adrenalectomy, we remove the tumor while leaving the rest of the gland intact.
- Radiation therapy: We use the first clinical MRI-guided linear accelerator radiation therapy system in the world, the ViewRay MRIdian Linac®. This provides treatment for kidney tumors in patients with medical issues that make them ineligible for traditional treatments.
- Robotic nephrectomy: We focus on a minimally invasive approach for large, advanced tumors that are not amenable to partial nephrectomy, including patients with vena cava tumor thrombus. If a robotic approach is not feasible, our team also has significant experience in open surgery techniques. We also offer robotic nephroureterectomy for upper-tract urothelial carcinoma.
- Robotic partial (kidney-sparing) nephrectomy: Our team removes the tumor while preserving the normal and unaffected portion of the kidney. We have extensive experience for even the most complex cases, including large, deep or multiple tumors; obese patients; vascular invasion; proximity to critical structures; prior abdominal surgeries; and hereditary kidney cancer.
Interventional radiology innovations
- “First in the world” procedure: Interventional radiologist Scott Schwartz, M.D., used an AngioVac device to remove cancer extending into the vena cava, facilitating a robotic nephrectomy by Craig Rogers, M.D., the chair of our department of urology. The patient participated in a clinical trial using genetic material from his tumor to produce a personalized vaccine designed to fight his metastatic disease.
- Percutaneous ablation: We collaborate with experts in interventional radiology who are recognized leaders in their field, offering biopsy and ablation of smaller tumors for which surgery is not indicated, such as older patients with comorbidities.
- Renal embolization: We perform embolization of large kidney tumors prior to surgery to decrease intraoperative blood loss; embolization for benign angiomyolipoma (AML) tumors to decrease risk of spontaneous bleed; and embolization of large symptomatic polycystic kidneys to shrink cystic kidneys and improve symptoms.
Learn more about our kidney and adrenal cancer treatments.
Knowledgeable and caring kidney cancer team
Our coordinated, compassionate kidney cancer team includes:
- Centralized evaluation, management and follow-up: Specialized radiologists and urologists review outside films and recommend additional renal imaging, if required. We review the evaluations with patients in real time to determine management.
- Dedicated nurse navigators: All patients have a dedicated cancer nurse to support their care journey and assist with appointment scheduling.
- Experienced surgeons: Our team includes surgeons who are among the most experienced in the United States and world, having performed more than 1,500 robotic urologic surgeries. We are one of the top programs in the Midwest and U.S. for robotic adrenal surgery volume.
- Partnership in care: After evaluation and surgery, patients can be returned to the referring physician to continue follow-up.
- Survivorship clinic: We offer a dedicated post-treatment survivorship clinic staffed by advanced practice providers to support and help patients navigate follow-up care.
Find out more about our kidney and adrenal cancer support services.
Fast, convenient referrals
The Henry Ford Referring Physician Office is available 24/7, ensuring your patient has access to the best treatments available and timely appointments. Your patient will be given an appointment within 24 hours and will be seen within a few days of your referral.