The Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology
More than 45 years of vision research, education and support for the visually impaired through managing low vision support groups.
As the research education arm of the Henry Ford Department of Ophthalmology, the Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology (DIO) is committed to assisting and educating the visually impaired, helping them to maintain independence and dignity, while learning how to live a satisfying and productive life in a sighted world. The DIO also is a world leader in facilitating collaborative research related to the eye.
Support services for the visually impaired
Located in Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan, the Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology provides a wide range of support services for those with low vision, including:
- Senior support groups (for adults age 60 and older)
- Visionaries support groups (for adults age 20-59)
- Competitively priced low-vision aids
Many DIO programs are aided by its volunteer arm, the Friends of Vision. Volunteers are always needed, and there are a variety of volunteer opportunities available. All necessary training is included, and volunteers can choose the activities that best fit their interests and schedules.
The Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology sponsors two international research congresses, each of which assembles more than 30 of the world’s leading scientists in Detroit for three days:
- The Eye, The Brain & The Auto: This DIO program is dedicated to improving the understanding of the relationship between vision and the safe operation of motor vehicles.
- The Eye and The Chip: This DIO program seeks to marry the most recent advances in nanoelectronics and neurobiology to provide artificial vision to many people who are now blind as a result of many eye conditions, diseases and injuries.
EyesOn Design Awards for Design Excellence
Each year, the Henry Ford Health Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology (DIO) hosts the EyesOn Design Awards for Design Excellence at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS). These awards, the officially sanctioned design awards of NAIAS, honor the best production and concept vehicles making their worldwide auto show debut in Detroit.
EyesOn Design Car Show
For more than 30 years, the Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology has sponsored EyesOn Design, an annual international exhibition that celebrates automotive design excellence of the past, present and future. Held on Father’s Day at the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House in Grosse Pointe Shores, Michigan, the show features a new theme each year.
The Detroit Institute of Ophthalmology15415 E. Jefferson Avenue
Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
Phone: (313) 824-4710
Fax: (313) 822-4233