DETROIT – Doctors and nurses at Henry Ford Health System are making a difference in the lives of adults and children who are trapped in the...
More than 50 years ago, doctors at Henry Ford pioneered efforts to develop the medical specialty of vascular surgery. Today, experts at the Heart & Vascular Institute continue this tradition, delivering innovative treatments and teaching the next generation of vascular disease specialists.
Henry Ford: Vascular surgery experts
Our vascular surgery program dates back to 1952 when doctors at Henry Ford performed one of the world’s first aortic aneurysm repairs. Years later, our team of experts helped develop emerging treatments such as man-made (synthetic) grafting materials to reinforce weakened arteries.
We partner with experts across the Henry Ford system to deliver life-saving treatments for even the most complex forms and advanced stages of vascular disease:
- Aortic Disease: The Heart & Vascular Institute leads the field in treating aortic aneurysms and performing complex aortic repairs. Using a newly approved stent graft, our team performs complex aortic repairs in areas that are difficult to access through other means. Learn more about the Multidisciplinary Aorta Program.
- Deep Vein and Valve Damage: Our highly skilled surgical team is experienced in performing complex open surgery to reconstruct damaged veins and valves located deep in the legs. This intricate deep vein and valve reconstruction restores blood flow from the legs back to the heart, greatly lowering the risk for limb loss or death.
- Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD): As one of few programs in the country with clinics dedicated to providing comprehensive PAD care, our vascular surgeons deliver treatments that help keep you safe from serious complications. Our team has years of experience performing angioplasty and bypass grafting procedures that restore good blood flow to your arms and legs. Learn more about PAD treatments.
- Vein Disease: Our experts provide advanced diagnosis and treatment for varicose veins and spider veins. Learn more about the Vein Center.
Vascular surgery in Michigan
Our surgeons start getting involved in your care early on, before your risk for serious complications increases. We conduct a thorough evaluation of your condition so we can recommend surgical options that may work best for you. We want you to be comfortable with your care, so feel free to ask questions during these visits.
Features of our program include:
- Advanced diagnostic studies: Our team includes dedicated technicians who specialize in complex imaging studies and aneurysm reconstructions. These tests help us accurately plan your surgery. Learn more about vascular disease diagnosis and pre-surgical testing available in our cardiovascular testing labs.
- Full range of techniques: From minimally invasive, to endovascular and open surgery, our team expertly performs the full range of vascular surgeries. Using advanced technology such as electromyography (EMG), we safely perform surgeries in delicate areas such as near your spinal cord.
- Hybrid surgical procedures: Combining open and endovascular techniques in one procedure, our surgeons specialize in performing hybrid procedures to treat complex vascular conditions.
- Fellowship training: With the establishment of the world’s first vascular surgery fellowship in the 1960’s, Henry Ford has been training the next generation of experts for over 50 years. Our fellows actively participate in your care under the close supervision of more experienced surgeons.
We expertly treat conditions affecting your blood vessel network, veins and lymph vessels. Surgical treatments available at the Heart & Vascular Institute include:
- Aortic arch replacement
- Bypass grafting surgery
- Endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR)
- Fenestrated endovascular aneurysm repair (FEVAR)
- Stent placement
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Valve sparing aortic root replacement
Hybrid surgical procedures include:
- Abdominal aneurysm stent graft placements in hard to reach areas
- Combined open and endovascular procedures such as coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) and stenting
- Complex peripheral artery disease (PAD) treatments to restore good blood flow to your arms and legs (revascularization)
- Aortic dissection repair
- Thoracic aneurysm stent graft placement
We perform hybrid procedures in a specially equipped operating room (OR) that allows vascular surgeons and other specialists to work together seamlessly. Learn more about our hybrid OR.