Diabetes Support Groups
(313) 874-1890 or (313) 874-7495 or (800) 277-2740
Locations: Clinton Township, Dearborn (Fairlane), Detroit (Detroit Northwest), Novi and Taylor
Whether you’ve had diabetes for years or have been diagnosed recently, these informative and relaxed meetings offer support for managing the condition. Patients and their families can learn more about diabetes, share experiences, exchange healthy recipes and become part of a network with others facing many of the same issues. Health care professionals are available to offer encouragement and guidance. Support groups are free of charge and located throughout the metro Detroit area with monthly evening meeting times.
(800) 277-2740 or (313) 874-7495
Whether newly diagnosed or living with diabetes for years, patients at the Henry Ford Diabetes Care Center receive a personalized self-management plan based on their type of diabetes, current medical condition and lifestyle. A physician referral is required for all programs.
- Diabetes Self-Management Education Program (DSME): A 10-hour program with personal one-on-one sessions and classroom group-learning sessions focused on daily self-management of diabetes.
- Diabetes in Active Control Program (DIAC): A six-month personalized, one-on-one diabetes management coaching program for those needing additional help with controlling blood glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol. (Offered to Henry Ford Medical Group patients only.)
- Medical Nutrition Therapy Program (MNT):A one-on-one session with a registered dietitian to develop a personal meal plan based on food preferences and lifestyle, as well as follow-up visits to help meet the food-plan goals.
Henry Ford Diabetes Prevention Program
This Centers for Disease Control (CDC)-recognized lifestyle change program is proven to lower your risk of type 2 diabetes and improve your health. This year-long program includes 16 weekly classes followed by monthly classes led by a specially-trained lifestyle coach to help you learn new skills, encourage you to set and meet goals and keep you motivated. The coach will also facilitate discussions and keep the program fun and engaging. Find support from a group of people with similar goals and challenges, and work together to overcome obstacles and celebrate successes.
Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital -- Diabetes Self-Management Education Program
Individuals with diabetes learn about the disease, its complications, medications, diet and exercise. Offered monthly at Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital. Physician referral is required. Cost may be covered by health insurance.