Neurotology and Otology
If you have hearing loss or ear disorder symptoms that won’t quit, look to the experts at Henry Ford Health. Our nationally recognized neurotology and otology experts excel in caring for adults and children with conditions affecting the ear, hearing and balance. With testing and treatments that are not widely available, we help more people achieve lasting symptom relief.
Are neurotology and otology services right for me?
If you have symptoms of ear, hearing or balance issues, our neurotology and otology experts can help. Care starts with a comprehensive evaluation and diagnosis. We then discuss the next steps of your care, which may include observation, medical therapies or surgery.
Our services may be right for you if you have:
- Hearing aids but still struggle to hear and communicate
- Ongoing ear drainage that may be clear or contain pus or blood
- Frequent ear infections
- Sudden changes in hearing in one or both ears
- Ringing in your ears or a whooshing or thumping sound
- Balance disorder symptoms, including dizzy spells or feeling unsteady on your feet
- Hearing loss in only one ear, or that’s noticeably worse in one ear
Neurotology and otology services at Henry Ford: Why choose us?
When you come to Henry Ford, you benefit from the skill and wisdom of doctors who completed fellowship training in ear disease. We deliver therapies with a high degree of precision and the careful attention you deserve. Our experts are also advancing ear disease services through research and advocacy at the state and national levels. Meet our team.
Highlights of our program include:
- Care for a broad range of conditions: We excel in common and complex conditions affecting the ear. Treatments include nonsurgical therapies and the best available implants. Read more about ear conditions and treatments.
- Ear surgery: Treatments often include surgery to repair ear structures or remove abnormal growths. Many patients benefit from endoscopic-assisted approaches that use sophisticated technologies and tiny instruments. These techniques are gentler on your body, enabling you to recover faster. Learn more about ear surgery.
- Implantable devices: We help many people with severe hearing loss hear again with the help of implantable devices. Henry Ford offers gold-standard options, such as cochlear implants. You also have access to newer technologies, like bone conduction implants, that are only available in select programs. Find out more about hearing implants.
- Coordination: For complex cases, we use a team approach. Neurotologists and otologists (ear, hearing and balance experts) work alongside audiologists, physical and occupational therapists, and psychologists whenever necessary. These efforts ensure you receive the most appropriate therapies without keeping track of all the details.
Prompt access for urgent hearing concerns
Sudden changes in hearing can be a sign of serious issues, including permanent hearing loss. This is why it’s essential to receive prompt treatment. Our team members typically see patients with a sudden decline in hearing within three business days. The sooner you receive specialized care, the sooner you can start treatment. Request an appointment.
Comprehensive neurotology and otology care, second opinions and virtual visits
If you are coming to Henry Ford from outside of south central Michigan, we help you make the most of each visit.
For your initial appointment, we coordinate more of the services you need on the same day. These may include:
- Audiology assessment
- Imaging studies
- Neurotology and otology consultation
Our goal is to help you receive the care you need with as few in-person appointments as possible. Many patients receive services and second opinions through virtual visits. We also use virtual care to discuss tests results and care plans, when necessary.