Parathyroid disease affects how the parathyroid glands function. These glands produce hormones that help regulate the amount of calcium in the blood.
When calcium levels are too high, it can result in serious health conditions, including osteoporosis and kidney stones.
Parathyroid gland disorders require expert care. At Henry Ford Health, our parathyroid specialists understand the importance of fast, accurate diagnosis and effective treatment.
Parathyroid disease: Why choose Henry Ford?
When you come to Henry Ford for diagnosis and treatment of hyperparathyroidism, you’ll receive the most advanced care possible. Our program is one of the busiest in the Midwest, treating hundreds of patients a year.
At Henry Ford, you can expect:
- Expertise: Our team of parathyroid specialists includes highly skilled, fellowship-trained surgeons. They have the years of experience and training necessary to effectively treat even the most difficult cases.
- Team-based approach: Parathyroid disease is complex and can be challenging to diagnose. Our parathyroid experts work closely with endocrinologists and other specialists at Henry Ford to provide comprehensive care. This team approach means that you receive an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment plan.
- Experienced care: We perform over 150 parathyroid surgeries each year to treat all types of parathyroid disease. This high surgical volume translates to greater expertise for our surgeons and successful outcomes for patients.
- Customized surgeries: We specialize in personalizing procedures to meet each patient’s unique needs. Our parathyroid specialists perform all types of parathyroid surgery, including minimally invasive and bilateral neck exploration.
- Advanced technology: At Henry Ford, we use advanced technologies and techniques to improve parathyroid surgery outcomes. For example, we routinely use intraoperative parathyroid hormone monitoring to provide patients with safer, more successful surgeries.
- High cure rates: Our patients benefit from a high cure rate after parathyroid surgery. Over 98 percent of our patients are disease-free after treatment.