Guaranteed neurosurgeon or neuro-oncologist appointment in 24 business hours at any point during your care process: second opinions, comprehensive care, surgery or primary postoperative care.
A diagnosis of cancer -- any cancer -- is overwhelming. At the Hermelin Brain Tumor Center, you will find compassion and ongoing support from our experienced brain tumor specialists. Our multidisciplinary team of doctors and nurses offers what every brain tumor patient and their family needs: rapid diagnosis, personalized care and expert treatment.
The Hermelin Brain Tumor Center is a national leader
When routine treatment fails, patients and doctors turn to us. We are driven to revolutionize the care we provide to our patients, who travel from around the country to find hope through an individualized treatment plan and a world-class, coordinated care team. Our mission is to turn brain tumors into a chronic, controllable disease.
Since 1993, our center has been recognized by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) for delivering advanced brain tumor therapies. Henry Ford Hospital was the only Michigan institution and one of a select few chosen to participate in the NCI-funded Adult Brain Tumor Consortium (ABTC).
Expert, compassionate brain tumor care
At the Hermelin Brain Tumor Center we offer:
- Fast access: We offer guaranteed appointments with a brain tumor specialist within 24 business hours.
- Advanced diagnostics and tumor imaging: Our brain tumor center offers the latest specialized tests for the most accurate diagnosis and treatment guidance, including Michigan’s only magnetoencephalography (MEG) system and genetic tumor typing.
- Personalized treatment plans: A multidisciplinary brain tumor board reviews your case and develops a personalized treatment plan that meets the needs of you and your family. Every patient is evaluated for possible clinical trials participation.
- Brain tumor tissue banking: We offer brain tumor patients undergoing surgery the option to store their brain tumor tissue for analysis and future personalized treatments.
- Precise, safer surgery: Our brain tumor surgeons are national leaders in the use of technologies that make surgery safer, such as intraoperative MRI (iMRI) and neuro-navigation systems -- which help to determine the safest surgical route and differentiate cancer cells from healthy brain cells.
- Awake craniotomies: Using iMRI, these procedures help to preserve vision, speech, strength and sensation.
- Chemotherapy: Including novel techniques with delivery methods designed to minimize toxicity.
- Radiation therapy: Our brain tumor center offers the most advanced methods, including 3-D conformal radiation therapy and stereotactic radiosurgery. Henry Ford Hospital was the first in the United States to offer the EDGE®, the most advanced radiosurgery treatment available.
- MR spectroscopy and perfusion CT scanning: To define the location of invading tumor cells and differentiate between radiation damage and recurrent tumors.
- Metastatic treatment: Our brain tumor center offers a dedicated metastatic brain cancer program and led the development of comprehensive national guidelines for treatment of this challenging disease.
- Special expertise with glioblastoma: We have treated more than 1,400 patients with glioblastoma, the most aggressive of primary brain tumors. In addition, the Hermelin Brain Tumor Center team led the development of new national guidelines for progressive glioblastoma.
- Clinical trials: Our patients have access to the latest brain tumor clinical trials, including novel therapies.
We have treated thousands of patients, giving new hope to people with brain tumors through the most advanced treatment available. Read about the personal journeys of some of our brain tumor survivors.
Life with a brain tumor
At the Hermelin Brain Tumor Center, we understand that brain cancer treatment goes far beyond MRI scans and surgery. Paying attention to both your physical and emotional needs is also key to your long-term well-being. Our program focuses on streamlining treatment and helping you maintain the highest quality of life possible. This includes:
- A designated patient neuro-oncology coordinator, including assistance with testing, setting up appointments and overall education during your care
- Continuous and prospective assessment of each patient’s symptoms and quality of life
- Scheduling same-day MRIs for your convenience
- Sponsoring a support group
- Hosting a Facebook page where you can learn about Center news and the latest events, including our annual brain tumor run that celebrates life