Guaranteed neurosurgeon or neuro-oncologist appointment in 24 business hours at any point during your care process: second opinions, comprehensive care, surgery or primary postoperative care.
A brain tumor is a growth of abnormal cells in the tissues of the brain, which can place pressure on tissues and impair function. When a mass starts to grow, it is confined to the space within the skull, therefore pushing on vital functions like speech, motor or sensory areas. This mass can also cause the brain’s electrical impulses to misfire, thus causing a seizure. A brain tumor can be benign (non-cancerous) or malignant (cancerous).
Brain tumor diagnosis
What does this mean?
Is there more than one?
How aggressive is my brain tumor?
Is it just in my brain?
Throughout your treatment at the Hermelin Brain Tumor Center, we’ll work with you and your family to answer these questions and provide the most effective care possible, while helping you maintain the highest quality of life.
World-class brain tumor care
Our program offers the latest treatments found at only a few centers in the nation, and we have provided hope even for people with brain cancer who have been told there were no treatment options. We offer a breadth of experience and expertise in the treatment of all brain tumors and related conditions, including:
- Acoustic neuroma
- Astrocytoma, glioblastoma and glioblastoma multiforme (GBM)
- CNS Lymphoma
- Glioma, ependymoma, mixed glioma, optic nerve glioma and brain stem glioma
- Metastatic brain tumors
- Pituitary tumors
- Skull base tumors
Multidisciplinary, personalized treatment plans
Every patient case is reviewed by our brain tumor board, a weekly conference of experts from multiple medical specialties who meet to review your initial imaging scans, the molecular make up of your tumor and other tests, as well as your medical history. Based on the board’s treatment recommendations, we work with you and your family to develop a personalized treatment plan. We offer the latest technology and the most advanced procedures to ensure that your treatment is as effective and safe as possible. Depending on your individual needs, your brain cancer treatment may include:
- Surgery: Our brain tumor surgeons are experts in the latest techniques and are national leaders in the use of technologies that make surgery safer, such as intraoperative MRI.
- Radiation therapy: We offer the most advanced methods, including 3-D conformal radiation therapy and stereotactic radiosurgery.
- Chemotherapy: Including novel techniques with delivery methods designed to minimize toxicity.
- Metastatic treatment: We offer a dedicated metastatic brain cancer program and led the development of comprehensive national guidelines for treatment of this challenging disease.
Whenever possible, treatment focuses on eradicating the brain cancer safely while conserving the healthy brain and spinal cord, helping you achieve the highest quality of life.
The latest brain tumor research and clinical trials
The Hermelin Brain Tumor Center is active in brain cancer research at our own laboratories. We are also one of a select group of centers nationally to be charged by the National Cancer Institute to deliver new treatments through the Adult Brain Tumor Consortium and the Brain Tumor Trials Collaborative. Through this participation, our patients have access to the latest brain tumor clinical trials and novel therapies.