Navigating the breast cancer care process
A team of experts will be involved in your care -- and learning so many faces may seem overwhelming at times. We believe less confusion means more peace of mind. That’s why one dedicated professional will coordinate your care and walk you through each stage of the process.
- Diagnostic nurse navigators: Specialized nurse navigators assist you through the diagnostic process, from imaging such as a mammogram to a biopsy to understanding test results. Your nurse navigator will answer questions, schedule appointments, deliver test results as soon as they are available, and offer comforting words or reassurance when needed.
- Cancer care nurse navigators: When a breast cancer diagnosis is made, your cancer care nurse navigator will assist you in arranging medical services, such as doctor visits, surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation treatments. Your cancer care nurse navigator will work to make care as convenient as possible and guide you in what to expect.
- Concierge assistance: Henry Ford’s Center for Cancer Surgery provides concierge assistance to help you manage your appointments.
Breast cancer support services
Breast cancer affects more than just the body. It can take a toll on the emotional well-being of you and your family. Henry Ford offers a range of support programs to assist you and your loved ones before, during, and after treatment.
- Cancer support groups: It can help to talk about what you are feeling with a trained professional and others who face a similar challenge. Support groups also allow you to learn from others’ experiences.
- Integrative medicine: Our Center for Integrative Medicine offers wellness counseling in areas such as nutrition and therapies such as acupuncture provided by highly skilled practitioners experienced in these complementary healing traditions.
- ExCITE exercise therapy: Stay as healthy as possible with an exercise therapy program designed to help you maintain strength and energy during treatment and recovery.
- Henry Ford at Home: Our home health group works with doctors and case managers to help with the transition from hospital to home. We’ll offer skilled and specialized care, including a full range of products and services.
- Rehabilitation: Your rehabilitation plan will depend on your goals and can focus on increasing strength and energy, managing pain, or improving your functioning and quality of life.
- Social work coordination for daily life needs: Our social workers help with the many emotional and other daily needs of living, including transportation, lodging, counseling, and information about community resources and cancer support groups.
- Specialty pharmacy: Our pharmacists offer home delivery, access to hard-to-find medications, education, and counseling.
Breast cancer survivor retreats
Hearts2Love is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to providing supportive services to men, women and children whose lives have been touched by cancer. The goal is to offer educational programs and retreats designed to bring comfort, inspire courage, develop creativity, and promote self-reliance through positive life changes.
Held three times each year at the Emrich Retreat Center in rural Brighton, Mich., the "It's a New Day" retreats offer women who have survived cancer a chance to celebrate life and to find comfort, strength, and restoration. They are designed to help women understand their new life as a cancer survivor.
These retreats will center on self-reliance, the power of love, peace, positive energy, and embracing life changes. Retreats include sessions with experts spanning a variety of areas: yoga, massage, nutrition, therapy, dance, journaling, and social work, as well as sessions with doctors and health care professionals. Survivors will have the opportunity to share experiences, learn from others, and build relationships.