Navigating the breast cancer care process
A team of experts will be involved in your care -- and learning so many faces may seem overwhelming at times. We believe less confusion means more peace of mind. That’s why one dedicated professional will coordinate your care and walk you through each stage of the process.
- Diagnostic nurse navigators: Specialized nurse navigators assist you through the diagnostic process, from imaging such as a mammogram to a biopsy to understanding test results. Your nurse navigator will answer questions, schedule appointments, deliver test results as soon as they are available, and offer comforting words or reassurance when needed.
- Cancer care nurse navigators: When a breast cancer diagnosis is made, your cancer care nurse navigator will assist you in arranging medical services, such as doctor visits, surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation treatments. Your cancer care nurse navigator will work to make care as convenient as possible and guide you in what to expect.
- Concierge assistance: Henry Ford’s Center for Cancer Surgery provides concierge assistance to help you manage your appointments.
Breast cancer support services
Breast cancer affects more than just the body. It can take a toll on the emotional well-being of you and your family. Henry Ford offers a range of support programs to assist you and your loved ones before, during, and after treatment.
- Cancer support groups: It can help to talk about what you are feeling with a trained professional and others who face a similar challenge. Support groups also allow you to learn from others’ experiences.
- Integrative medicine: Our Center for Integrative Medicine offers wellness counseling in areas such as nutrition and therapies such as massage, provided by highly skilled practitioners experienced in these complementary healing traditions.
- ExCITE exercise therapy: Stay as healthy as possible with an exercise therapy program designed to help you maintain strength and energy during treatment and recovery.
- Henry Ford at Home: Our home health group works with doctors and case managers to help with the transition from hospital to home. We’ll offer skilled and specialized care, including a full range of products and services.
- Rehabilitation: Your rehabilitation plan will depend on your goals and can focus on increasing strength and energy, managing pain, or improving your functioning and quality of life.
- Social work coordination for daily life needs: Our social workers help with the many emotional and other daily needs of living, including transportation, lodging, counseling, and information about community resources and cancer support groups.
- Specialty pharmacy: Our pharmacists offer home delivery, access to hard-to-find medications, education, and counseling.
- Acupuncture: Studies have shown that acupuncture can minimize symptoms such as hot flashes in breast cancer patients.
Henry Ford breast cancer support groups
Downriver Breast Cancer Support Group
The Breast Cancer Support Group meets once a month to support women who are currently being treated for, or are survivors of, breast cancer.
Meets 6-7:30 p.m. on the first Monday of the month
Location: Henry Ford Cancer Institute, Downriver
Contact: Connie Lass at (734) 479-3311
Detroit and West Bloomfield Breast Cancer Support Group
Survivorship and support meeting for current breast cancer patients, caregivers and survivors.
Meets from 6:30-7:30 p.m. in Detroit on the first Wednesday of the month, and in West Bloomfield on the third Wednesday of the month
- Detroit: Henry Ford Hospital, Henry Ford Cancer Institute Conference Room
- West Bloomfield: Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital, private dining room 1 (outside the café)
Contact: Sonja Colbert
Contact your breast cancer care team for more information.