What is a certified nurse midwife?
Certified nurse midwives are registered nurses and nationally board-certified and state-licensed midwives. In addition, all of our midwives have obtained a master’s degree. Nurse-midwives are trained to recognize complications early, treat the problem, or refer you for appropriate medical or surgical care if needed.
- Every woman deserves respect for her cultural, religious, and personal values.
- Puberty, birth, and menopause are normal life events, not medical conditions.
- There are benefits to family involvement.
- Women can make safe and satisfying choices about their care.
- Women should take an active role in their health and wellness.
Our team of midwives, gynecologists, and obstetricians work closely together to offer comprehensive treatment. We believe that a team approach provides the safest possible care environment should a medical complication arise that requires a doctor.
What services do certified nurse midwives at Henry Ford provide?
Certified nurse midwives offer a wide range of primary healthcare services to women from puberty through menopause. Our certified nurse midwives offer:
- Annual gynecological exams
- Birth control education and prescriptions
- Breastfeeding education and support
- First gynecological exam for teens, including education about their bodies and normal processes
- Labor and birth management
- Menopausal care
- Preconception counseling and exams
- Prenatal care
- Postpartum care
- Testing and treatment for infection, including those that are sexually transmitted