Additional breast imaging procedures
Besides mammograms, we offer many different types of breast imaging procedures. These include:
- Breast aspiration, an ultrasound-guided procedure that locates and removes a fluid-filled area in the breast for diagnostic testing
- Breast MRI, which uses magnetic fields to create images of the inside of the breast
- Breast needle localization, which uses X-rays to locate abnormal tissue before our doctors perform a surgery or biopsy
- Magseed, a procedure performed in radiology where a wire-free, radiation-free, magnetic seed is placed in your breast prior to your surgery, to provide an accurate surgical excision
- Breast ultrasound, which we may use in addition to a mammogram to determine if a breast mass is solid or filled with fluid
- Ultrasound-guided breast biopsy, which uses ultrasound to locate a lump or area of swelling in the breast so we can take samples for testing
- Molecular Breast Imaging (MBI), which is a secondary screening tool for breast cancer that is designed to increase early detection of invasive breast cancer in women with dense breast tissue, when used in addition to digital mammography or 3D mammography.
- Stereotactic breast biopsy, a procedure that uses mammography to identify and biopsy an abnormality within the breast, and is normally performed when a radiologist sees a suspicious abnormality on a mammogram that can't be felt.
- 3D breast biopsy, a procedure that uses breast tomosynthesis as a technique to target and biopsy abnormalities, which cannot be seen with standard 2D digital mammography but can only be identified with 3D mammography.
The Henry Ford Allegiance Mobile Health Coach is a mobile unit that offers both mammography and bone density exams. The Health Coach travels to eight different locations in South Central Michigan: Albion, Adrian, Grass Lake, Brooklyn, Onsted, Mason, Leslie, Vandercook and the Center for Family Health in downtown Jackson.
Free Mammograms for Women In Need
Through a grant from the Mid-Michigan affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure®, the Henry Ford Allegiance Women’s Health Center provides free mammography screening for breast cancer for women in Jackson County who are uninsured, underinsured or low income, and between the ages of 40-59. Women are welcome to call the Henry Ford Allegiance Women’s Health Center at (517) 205-8665 to learn if they qualify.
Our Yes Ma’am program, and other programs, also provide free annual mammograms to uninsured women.