Mammograms and other breast imaging exams play an important role in breast health.
In addition to regular self-exams of your breasts, breast imaging is an important part of your overall breast health. These tests help our doctors detect changes in breast tissue that may be signs of breast cancer or other breast conditions.
Our breast imaging specialists will help you understand each test so you can make the best decisions possible about your care.
What is breast imaging?
Breast imaging is the use of medical imaging equipment to see inside the breast. Breast imaging tests can use a variety of imaging technology, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and ultrasound.
Breast imaging exams and procedures we offer
We offer a wide range of breast imaging tests and procedures as part of our commitment to our patients’ breast health.
The breast imaging test that is most familiar to patients is a mammogram. A mammogram uses X-rays to examine breast tissue. Our mammography services include:
Additional breast imaging procedures
Besides mammograms, we offer many different types of breast imaging procedures. These include:
- Breast aspiration, an ultrasound-guided procedure that locates and removes a fluid-filled area in the breast for diagnostic testing
- Breast MRI, which uses magnetic fields to create images of the inside of the breast
- Breast needle localization, which uses X-rays to locate abnormal tissue before our doctors perform a surgery or biopsy
- Breast ultrasound, which we may use in addition to a mammogram to determine if a breast mass is solid or filled with fluid
- Mammotome breast biopsy, which uses ultrasound to locate a lump or area of swelling in the breast so we can take samples for testing
- Stereotactic breast biopsy, which uses X-rays to locate a lump or area of swelling in the breast so we can take samples for testing