What is breast imaging?
Breast imaging is the use of medical imaging equipment to see inside the breast. Breast imaging tests can use a variety of imaging technology, including magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and ultrasound.
Breast imaging exams and procedures we offer
We offer a wide range of breast imaging tests and procedures as part of our commitment to our patients’ breast health.
- Digital mammography, which features greater accuracy and shorter scanning times than traditional mammograms
- Digital breast tomosynthesis mammography, which uses multiple X-ray images to create 3-D pictures of the breast for greater detail -- particularly for dense breasts
- Our Multidisciplinary Diagnostic Breast Clinic, which allows for quick diagnosis, treatment, and wellness services relating to breast health
- Our Yes Ma’am program, which provides free annual mammograms to uninsured women in Michigan’s Downriver area
Additional breast imaging procedures
Besides mammograms, we offer many different types of breast imaging procedures. These include:
- Breast aspiration, an ultrasound-guided procedure that locates and removes a fluid-filled area in the breast for diagnostic testing
- Breast MRI, which uses magnetic fields to create images of the inside of the breast
- Breast needle localization, which uses X-rays to locate abnormal tissue before our doctors perform a surgery or biopsy
- Breast ultrasound, which we may use in addition to a mammogram to determine if a breast mass is solid or filled with fluid
- Mammotome breast biopsy, which uses ultrasound to locate a lump or area of swelling in the breast so we can take samples for testing
- Stereotactic breast biopsy, which uses X-rays to locate a lump or area of swelling in the breast so we can take samples for testing