The reconstructive urology program at Henry Ford Health focuses on restoring or creating improved function in your urinary tract and genital organs. Our expert surgeons work together to build a treatment plan that meets your goals and helps you regain your quality of life.
Genitourinary reconstruction: Why choose Henry Ford?
Highlights of the reconstructive urology program at the Henry Ford Vattikuti Urology Institute include:
- Expert team: Our team includes a fellowship-trained reconstructive urologist with extensive training in the latest robotic techniques. We offer minimally invasive treatments for the most complex conditions using procedures not widely available in Michigan or the nation.
- Team-based approach: Urologic surgeons work closely with plastic surgeons, colorectal surgeons and specialists in rehabilitation medicine and pelvic floor physical therapy. You receive complete care for any genitourinary (urinary tract or genital) condition, and all the experts you need are under one roof.
- Innovative techniques: We specialize in robotic urologic surgery for urinary strictures, complications related to cancer treatment and a range of other conditions. Robotic surgery offers many benefits, including a shorter hospital stay, fewer complications and a quicker recovery.
- Personalized care: Our experts take the time to understand how a genitourinary condition is affecting your quality of life. Whether you’re dealing with incontinence, urinary blockages or other challenges, we build a treatment plan tailored to your unique needs and goals.
Our reconstructive urology services
We offer a full spectrum of surgical reconstructive services for conditions affecting the urinary tract (bladder, kidneys, ureters and urethra) and genitals (vagina, penis, scrotum, prostate gland and testicles).
Reconstructive surgery can treat many genitourinary problems, including:
- Aesthetic concerns
- Frequent urinary tract infections (UTIs)
- Pelvic pain
- Sexual dysfunction
- Urinary incontinence (leaking urine)
- Urinary retention (trouble emptying your bladder)
- Weak urine stream
Complications from cancer treatment or surgery
Cancer treatment can have lasting effects on your body. For many people, regaining genitourinary function is an important part of survivorship. Our experts offer innovative solutions for complications related to cancer treatment, as well as side effects from other types of surgeries.
Congenital and acquired conditions
We care for congenital (present at birth) and acquired conditions of the urinary tract and and genitals. Even if you’ve previously received treatment, you may still be dealing with reproductive or urinary challenges as you age or transition into adulthoood. Our experts collaborate to create a treatment plan based on your changing needs.
Urethra injuries and genitourinary trauma
Henry Ford cares for chronic and acute injuries of the bladder, kidneys, urethra and other genitourinary organs. We treat genital straddle injuries (blunt force against the genitals, such as from a fall or hard object). We also care for severe injuries of the pelvis and abdomen caused by automobile accidents, gunshots or other trauma. Surgeons offer minimally invasive bladder reconstruction, urethral reconstruction and other innovative procedures to help you retain as much function as possible.
Urinary strictures and obstructions
Our reconstructive urology team specializes in robot-assisted procedures for urinary strictures, including urethral strictures and ureteropelvic junction obstructions. We use the latest techniques to remove scar tissue and reconstruct damaged sections of the urinary tract.
Gender affirmation consultations
Henry Ford is in the process of developing a comprehensive gender affirming surgery program. Reconstructive urologists collaborate with plastic surgeons, gynecologic surgeons and other experts. Your team will provide the multispecialty care and support you need during your transition.